"Beginnings" is the first episode of series one of Spaced. It was broadcast on September 24, 1999.
Struggling artist Tim Bisley and struggling writer Daisy Steiner meet in a café and bond over their mutual search for accomodation. In order to procure what appears to be a dream flat, they pretend to be a professional couple, and get to know each other. They arrive at 23 Meteor Street and meet Marsha Klein, who becomes their new landlady. Tim bids his farewells to ex-girlfriend Sarah while Daisy leaves her squat. The faux-couple settle in and meet their downstairs neighbour, experimental painter Brain Topp. Despite close scrutiny, their ruse succeeds, and Tim and Daisy retire to their rooms at the end of a long and life-changing day.
- Jessica Stevenson … Daisy Steiner
- Simon Pegg … Tim Bisley
- Bill Bailey … Bilbo Bagshot
- Katy Carmichael … Twist Morgan
- Julia Deakin … Marsha Klein
- Nick Frost … Mike Watt
- Mark Heap … Brian Topp
- James Lance … Richard
- Peter Serafinowicz … Duane Benzie
- Anna Wilson-Jones … Sarah
- Edgar Wright … First Sleeping Ex-flatmate (uncredited)
- 00:30 – Terminator 2: Judgment Day is referenced, specifically the ending (with the thumb and the molten…thing) which made Tim cry like a baby.
- 02:59 – "Getting to Know You" plays over the montage, taken from The King and I.
- 03:19 – dialogue exchange taken from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, as spoken by Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill):
- 03:55 – Edgar Wright's mother was known to call him "pickle". Shaun is also given this nickname by Barbara in Shaun of the Dead.
- 05:06 – the name "Tim Bisley" is taken from graphic artist Simon Bisley. The artwork was done by Jim Murray and Jason Brashill of 2000AD fame.
- 05:16 – Tim once had a collection of Batman comics prior to an incident involving his sister, a cardboard car and a pond, resulting not only in Tim's forehead scar, but also the loss of said comics.
- 05:47 – Dark Star Comics is based on Dark Horse Comics.
- 05:49 – God's Third Leg was a late-eighties band whose drummer was none other than Simon Pegg.
- 06:13 – the interesting and relevant thoughts and speculations posited by the contemporary science-fiction series The X-Files are defended with terminal intensity by Tim.
- 06:30 – Gillian Anderson appears in glossy, stapled form as the object of Tim's dubious affections.
- 07:04 – The young Daisy is reading an issue of The Beano.
- 07:15 – Michelle from Eastenders did indeed get a third.
- 07:39 – The animated amalgamation of Daisy's supposed fears was done in the style of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series.
- 08:14 – Yes, an obvious reference to Green Card, whose stars–Andie MacDowell and Gérard Depardieu–are also name-checked.
- 09:45 – various references to The Shining, including "perfect for a child" and the terrifying twins–who were set to be recurring characters until it transpired The League of Gentlemen had similar characters in their Christmas special.
- 13:05 – cameos in the form of Edgar Wright and Andy Hollis portraying two of Daisy's stoner flatmates.